I have never been one to get much into making New Year's Resolutions. Personally, I find them a little cliche; they are usually all about losing weight, or eating better...
then February rolls around and everyone is back to their old habits.
I guess I try to look at every day as an opportunity, not just January 1st, and quite honestly, the best part of my year tends to be right smack in the middle of it anyhow. July is the month all of my boys, and myself, celebrate our birthdays, and it happens to be during my favorite season.
As this past New Year was approaching, however, I was finding myself thinking about how the past 5 years have been about being pregnant, and taking care of small infants. Seriously! I got pregnant in late 2005, spent 2006 pregnant and taking care of baby Gage, 2007 was adjusting to being a mom and dealing with a toddler, 2008 was pregnant (miscarriage) and then pregnant again...
2009 to the present have been a whirlwind of diapers, snotty noses, and a whole lot of playtime.
I guess I decided that it was time to start setting some goals for myself and thinking about "me" again. I am not ready to go back to work full-time yet, and not even part-time, however just "something"....
and I think I've found it!
I feel as if I may be getting ahead of myself in posting this, however if it doesn't work out, then "oh, well". I have applied, interviewed, and been hired at my local gym, "The Centre" and am taking a certification class TOMORROW to be an indoor group cycling (spin) instructor. I am very pumped up about this opportunity and feel that I will be good at it. I'm loud, personable, and always looking to have a good time, and I hope to display that in my classes. I love going to the gym, and have made fitness a huge priority in my life right now. If I'm not at home, I tend to be at the gym, as it's not only my mental outlet, it's become a social outlet for me as well. So there. I wrote it down, and now I am held accountable! I will keep you posted as to whether or not I "pass" and when (and if) I start teaching my own classes.
Another goal that I have recently set for myself is to begin training to compete in my first half marathon race in May. I have paid the money, and the official training has begun this past week. I am following a training guide that was referred to me by a friend, and it's found online as the "Hal Halvorson's" guide to training for a half. I am extremely excited to do this...
especially since two of my good friends, Marilyn and Diana plan to run this same race as well. I think all three of us (and Mar's sister-in-law Jess) will do a fabulous job in completing this goal of ours.
I just feel like 2011 is going to be a good year.
3 comments:
good 4 you Jill......I hope the half marathon goes well.....I made it through my first 5K last spring.....and that was tough for this old asthmatic who's allergic to most of the outdoors in spring. I know you will be a great teacher at the gym! I would come to spin class with you.....if I lived about 5 hours closer to your house!
Good for you Jill--it sounds a lot like my neighbor--she took up Zumba and is now an instructor. It is all about enjoying what you're doing! How exciting, and it'll be great to see you test yourself physically and mentally this year. :o) I'll do my best to be on the sidelines for the 1/2 marathon!
congrats on passing the test and being a instructor. that is great.
I haven't started trng yet so SUPER good for you. see you in May if not before!
Post a Comment