It may be some comfort to know that these toddlers don't really want to drive us crazy, they just want to understand how we work.
-Alison Gopnik

Sunday, April 29, 2007

WE DID IT!!


My friend Jenny and I ran our FIRST 10k (6.2 miles) on Saturday in the Twin Cities' "Get in Gear" run at Minnehaha Park in Minneapolis. It was a beautiful run, and we had terrific weather...not too hot, yet just enough breeze to keep the sun from making it miserable.

We both did great; Jenny came in under one hour at 59 minutes, and I came in at 1 hr 10 min.
We both had goals to run non-stop and we both succeeded.

It's hard to believe that less than 2 years ago, I told Jenny that I wouldn't be able to run around the block without stopping...
I literally started running from block to block, then increased to 1 mile, and have gone up from there. Jenny has been a great support to me, and a wonderful inspiration. I'm so glad she and I got the opportunity to do this together.

Since I've never really been good at any sports, as I don't have an athletic bone in my body, this has been a personal quest of mine and I am truly very proud of myself. It's kind of one of those moments when I've proven to myself (and hopefully others) that you should never say "I can't". Because when it comes down to it, it's all about mind games and if you tell yourself "You can doooo eeeet", YOU SURE CAN!

Way to go Jenny, WE DID IT!!!

2 comments:

A Day In The Life.... said...

Congrats Jill!!

Anonymous said...

Jill-
I am so proud of you! Your journey in the last 3 years has been so tremendous, and you have come so far. Mentally and physically. Your attitude has become, like you said, a "can do" and "I will do!" way of thinking. It is so moving to me and I want you to know how much you have inspired me along the way. I do miss our morning runs - probably because I know I am not crazy enough without you to get my butt out of bed in the morning! Thanks for being my running partner :) Keep your goals high~and WE DID IT!!!!! Wahooo!