It may be some comfort to know that these toddlers don't really want to drive us crazy, they just want to understand how we work.
-Alison Gopnik

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Meeting Miss Daisy


Well, folks. I caved. My kitty-lovin' heart has been aching since October, and I told myself I was waiting for the perfect opportunity, and that opportunity arrived on Monday.

Ever since having to put down my dearest Teague, over a year ago in November 2007, I swore up and down I would never get another cat. Too much work, too much hair, too much sorrow when it's time to say goodbye.
However, when you are a cat lover, you are forever a cat lover. I do hate the hair. It sticks to everything; but you just vacuum more. And you buy lint rollers. I dislike the extra work trying to litter-box train, and watching the door to make sure the cat doesn't run out every time someone is coming in or going out.

But I've missed the cuddles. The purrs. The playful swats at the ribbon when I'm trying to wrap Christmas presents. The pouncing on the bed sheets when I'm trying to make the bed.
When I've had a cat in my life, I never watch TV alone. I never work at the computer alone, either. Someone is always curled up in my lap, or behind me if I move forward enough to give 'em some room.

So we got a new kitty. Her name is Daisy. She showed up on someone's doorstep and this particular person happens to be allergic to cats and not a cat lover. But she started to steal the heart of this person, who didn't want to rush her right into the Humane Society. So, she sent out an email, giving everyone a heads' up that if they were looking for a cat, she had one.

I didn't even think about it. I responded to the email with these words:
"Oh, crap. I'll take her".

That was it. I never even saw her. I pulled into the grocery store on my way over, bought a box of food and a container of cat litter and drove right to the house where she had taken refuge. I picked her up, and just like the very first time I picked up my Teague, she nestled into my chest and began to purr. Some cats try to get away. Some cats don't like to be held. But this one, just like with my Teague, told me "Take me home to your house".

And we did.

She is sweet. She is training well, and loves to be held, but also doesn't need to be right on top of you at all times. She purrs a lot, has been eating well, and is putting up with Gage's tormenting behavior (I'm keeping an eye on it, trust me) quite well. She's a great addition to our family. We love her.


Welcome home, Daisy.


5 comments:

Swanson Family said...

very cute and congrats what a nice way to go into the holidays!

The Okoneks said...

Hey there cousin, wow gage is getting so grown up! what a cutie!

A Day In The Life.... said...

good for you!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! Little Miss Daisy is adorable. I am happy for you Jill! Enjoy!

Jaci said...

OOHHHH How cute. Congratulations on your latest family member. I do love cats too, I really do and will have to live vicariously through you & yours.

:o)