It may be some comfort to know that these toddlers don't really want to drive us crazy, they just want to understand how we work.
-Alison Gopnik

Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year...

We had such a wonderful Christmas. I didn't get around to posting any of our holiday preparation photos, but we did all of the same things that most everyone does around the holidays...
We baked (Mom and I), I sent my Christmas cards (but ran out so I have a stack that are being sent out tomorrow), we put up our tree and decorated the house (with the help of Gage, so only one ornament was broken and most of his ornaments are hanging in the same place on the tree-love it!) and all presents were purchased and wrapped (some as late as 2pm on Christmas Eve!).

The weather gave us a scare that we would not have any extended family to celebrate with, but my mom was able to get off of work early on Christmas Eve and head out before the weather got too bad. She and Ken arrived around 2:30pm and we headed off to our early Christmas Eve service at 4:30 just when the snow began to come down hard.

The babies have been going down to bed around 7pm now, so we ate our dinner of Papa Murphy's pizza and fed the twins, and after they were in bed we "dove" into our presents. Gage was just wonderful while opening his presents. We got some great photos, and he was just such a sweetheart. He really seemed to genuinely enjoy each and every gift he opened, and loved to play with each one before grabbing for the next one. I really don't think he could name a favorite; he seemed to enjoy everything he got!

He was very concerned with Santa this year. We had to leave Santa an entire plate full of cookies, and he had to sample one himself. We also had to leave Santa a mixture of strawberry/chocolate milk as Gage believed he would "really like that". We also had to turn our fireplace off, as "Santa will burn his butt, and he will melt. We don't want him to melt, because then he wouldn't leave us our presents". He also claimed to see Rudolph's red nose out of the bathroom window while we were brushing teeth, and I have to tell you, folks, he had me convinced; I think I saw it too! While I was tucking him in, he inquired as to whether or not we would hear Santa's "Ho, Ho, Ho!". I told him we may hear it, but we were to go right back to sleep!

On Christmas morning, I was up before he was, as Bronson (my early riser) was up, and both he and Landon were fed and changed before Gage decided to get up. He was very excited to see that Santa had ate all but one cookie, drank all of his milk, AND took his gift that Gage had left him but left him a piece of the bubblegum for being such a sweet boy and thinking of him.

Due to the weather, we didn't get any additional visitors so Mom and Ken and our family just stayed in and enjoyed each others company and the new snow. We made a snowman, a snow "bench" (compliments of mommy) and went down the slide a few times. Tim made a fantastic dinner of wild rice casserole, stuffed pork loin, 2 whole chickens, a green bean dish, and homemade cranberry salad. FABULOUS! How did I ever get so lucky to marry a CHEF?!?!?!?

On Saturday, my mom and I got up super early to hit some stores (Hallmark, Target, and Herberger's respectively) and get some great deals. Kinda crazy, I know, but I don't get out much so I take what I can get! My dad arrived just when my Mom and Ken were leaving (not on purpose, just worked out that way :) ) and we had our Christmas with him. The babies have been rather fussy today, and I really think we will see a tooth here shortly. All teething symptoms are current: drool, loose stool, rash around the mouth, runny nose, irritability....
so it had better be teething, or they are getting SICK!

Last but not least, our wonderful friends Lisa and Jarret came over with their boys Trent and Tommy and the boys played and played, and my dad entertained and entertained. Tim cooked (again) a dinner of homemade chicken/vegetable/rice soup and chili with homemade rolls and we ate until we were stuffed and enjoyed a few cocktails. Tomorrow we are heading to Tim's parents to celebrate with his entire family. Gage is excited to see and play with his cousins!

Now I sit on the couch, with the laptop on my lap, and the house is quiet and I just feel so overwhelmed with the feeling of being blessed. My life is good. It's been a challenging year, I will admit, but there is always a feeling of being blessed.

I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and were able to sit back and enjoy your families, your lives, and everything you have been blessed with. God Bless.


The boys before they headed off to bed...they'll be up for Christmas Even present-opening next year, I suppose!




My little performer. I have no idea where he gets it from!





Gage received a few new trucks/cars for Christmas but then he had to go and get all of his other cars/trucks out and line them all up. He was busy playing for quite awhile, all alone!

New airbed! "Cars" themed. Has slept on it every night since Christmas Eve!
Tracking Santa's status in the air before going to bed...
Getting the cookies and milk ready. And yes, that is a bottle of Crown Royal. We heard Santa likes that, too.
Making sure they taste okay...


My fireplace, COMPLETE! It hit me at this time that 5 is a very fine number and it will remain that way...
Note we got the kids' picture just in time for Christmas!

Merry Christmas...with one of my favorite presents!
Santa is a brat. A recorder?!?!?!
Gage picked out this toy blow dryer for Bronson for Christmas.
Helping Bronson open presents
Then it's Landon's turn!


Mama got a new pair of SOCKS!





Santa ate all the cookies AND drank the strawberry/chocolate milk!




These pictures are all from my mom's camera. I have more pictures that include my Dad and Tim's family from the weekend after Christmas that I will hopefully get posted tomorrow. But my time is limited on this computer...
so hopefully soon!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

4 comments:

The Foskett Family said...

Adorable! I LOVE THE PICTURE of Gage and the Boys above the Fireplace! It is too precious! Looks like a great Christmas for you guys! It's nice to see the twins smiling! I always loved that stage!

Swanson Family said...

great pics. the boys are adorable. love the pic above the fireplace. who did you have do them?

Happy New Year.

A Day In The Life.... said...

the pic above the fireplace is priceless! great post - thank you for sharing your christmas with us!

Jill said...

I had the twins' baby pics taken here by a photographer in Houlton, WI (right outside Hudson) named Jeff Dunn, J. Dunn photography.