It may be some comfort to know that these toddlers don't really want to drive us crazy, they just want to understand how we work.
-Alison Gopnik

Monday, January 31, 2011

I'm a Hockey Mom

After many tantrums, fits, and pouting, it's official. I'm the mother of a beginner hockey player.

Let's start at the beginning. I have no problems with the sport of hockey. But for anyone who is familiar with the sport, they know that it isn't a cheap one, and it is by far one of the more time consuming sports there is. Whereas if your child wants to play basketball, you will need to buy them some new shoes. If your child wants to be on the swim team, you buy them a pair of goggles, a swim suit and a swim cap. For hockey??? Oh, it's so much, much more...

But we won't dwell on it anymore. I have a 4 year old son who is absolutely loving the sport and all that comes with it. The skating, the gear, the game. He loves it! And when I see him out there on the ice, working hard to keep up with the other kids (as he is by far the shortest one out there yet, and probably the very youngest) I can't help but smile and be very proud of him.

So there. I've accepted it, and dealt with it, and I'm just darn-right okay with it. I'm a hockey mom! Bring on the tournaments, the cost and the travel time, baby! I'm IN!

Our team got to practice at the Xcel Energy Center this past Sunday. Here are some photos of Gage and the rest of the "Mites" out on the ice! It was very exciting, for the kids AND the parents. (And I think the coach's kinda liked it too!)








6 comments:

Karen said...

I love it!! I will have to come watch Gage play. Hockey is my favorite sport. I remember all the tourneys & traveling when my brother played hockey. I loved watching him play. Way to go Gage! Jill you will make a fabulous hockey mom! So now I wonder if you will be a hockey family & the twins will be joining Gage.

Mom xoxox said...

How fun for Gage and the other little guys to be able to skate in the big arena! I can't wait to watch him play. He is so cute! (It's okay to call a hockey player cute, right??) Love you, Gage.

Swanson Family said...

very cool. lucky for me I will be the mom who only has to buy the tennis shoes that are REALLY expensive and all the other things that go along with BB.

Jill said...

Mar, I am jealous! As cute as I think this is...I am secretly hoping that once he gets to be school age and they offer basketball, he will want to try that out instead. I love watching basketball, and it's a sport I actually know! I am so clueless when it comes to hockey!

Jaci said...

Um, pretty sure I've got a math-alete on my hands. So I'll just be buying calculators and dictionaries or something. Although, Milo might go for stock-car racing or skateboarding (something dangerous and naughty). Either way, love them for what they love right? It's all part of growing up!

A Day In The Life.... said...

he look adorable out on the ice!