It may be some comfort to know that these toddlers don't really want to drive us crazy, they just want to understand how we work.
-Alison Gopnik

Thursday, September 3, 2009

8 Weeks

Some things I have learned over the past 8 weeks of my life:

1. Sleep Deprivation is scary. It is no wonder that throughout history it has been used as a torture tactic. It makes you think, say, and feel really weird things, and can almost be dangerous.

2. It is okay to let a baby cry. Especially when your two arms are full and one of your feet is used to rock an infant seat of the crying baby. You have to be okay with listening to a newborn wail if you know they are fed, dry, and just plain wanting to be held. We all learn patience in life; a multiple must have to learn it earlier than most.

3. It is really easy to confuse your children. If you don't keep notes, you do not remember who you fed at what time if you try to keep it in your head.

4. It is possible, but not necessarily effective, to scold your toddler from across the room when your hands are full of babies. It does work to try to take toys away with your own feet/toes, if they are standing close enough to you.

5. A simple rule of "What is said between the hours of 10pm and 6am cannot be held against us" is okay if both you and your husband are okay with it.

6. Hairy legs are okay as long as you shave your armpits when you are taking your 6 minute daily shower.

7. Colick happens to the best of us.

8. A glass of wine per evening is okay.

9. Crying daily is okay, too.

10. Twins are the most challenging, wonderful thing to have ever happened to me and I cannot wait to be able to laugh about these years.....
but it will take awhile to get there!

3 comments:

A Day In The Life.... said...

you couldn't of said it better. life can be a little overwhelming and we all need our ways of keeping it all together. love ya.

The Foskett Family said...

I love your list!!!! I remember when both boys were crying I used to pretend I was crying and it confused them so much they stopped crying......it still works today!

Jill said...

Sarah, sad thing is, when I DO this, I am not pretending!