This past weekend, I completed one of the craziest, messiest, and most challenging 10k (6.2 miles) of my entire life thus far.
The Multiple Sclerosis Society held the Twin Cities first annual MUD RUN in Dresser, WI. This is an event that has been taking place all over the US recently, but seems to be becoming a bigger deal as each event takes place. Well over 1000 runners participated in the course, which was held at the Trollhaugen Ski Resort.
Ski resort? Yes. Hills. Lots and lots of hills.
The race started out with a run through 2 huge mud pits, about thigh-high. We went from being "chilly" in the upper 50's weather, to be soaked with cold, wet, muddy water.
We then ran up a very large hill, down an even bigger one, up and over 3 sandhills, and up yet another large hill. Then, into the woods we went!
The course contained about 79 obstacles, most of which were muddy water pits ranging from ankle deep to chest deep water. There were logs to crawl over, swim under (in the mud), sand hills to climb, and the list goes on and on.
The larger obstacles were the ones that I take most pride in. I completed every.single.one. And the only one I needed assistance on was the 6 ft log wall. I needed a "butt boost", but once shoved, I was able to get myself up and over. There was a large climbing ladder (about 20 ft high?) that I successfully climbed up and over, a similar sized cargo net (not stretched tight on the bottom...it was loose!) that was probably my biggest accomplishment and one I am most proud of. I took off with a team of 16, but finished with my friend Lisa, and my friend Diana was not far behind. I feel bad leaving her, it is still weighing on me, but she promises me I am not too horrible of a friend.
I finished the course in 2 hours 27 minutes, and am damn proud of myself. I also raised $620 for MS Research, and my team came in 4th place in fundraising efforts out of over 300 teams! THAT is an accomplishment in itself.
Will I do this again next year???
HELL YA!
Will you join me???


4 comments:
That looks like it was a blast and something I would do! Too bad they don't have something like that in GB.
Wow Jill-that looks like some crazy stuff!! I can't wait to hear about it in person & get the gory details. No idea if I'd ever commit to something like that. Hmmm. Kudos for doing it & finishing it!
I agree with Jaci, congrats. Since I don't like being dirty, in any aspect of life, I think I would pass. I think its wonderful you did it and that you want to do it again! congrats!
way to go! you and di will have to fill us in on the detail in a couple weeks. proud of you!
Post a Comment