It may be some comfort to know that these toddlers don't really want to drive us crazy, they just want to understand how we work.
-Alison Gopnik

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A visit to Canada

Over Labor Day weekend, Gage and I took a "Mommy and Me" trip up north to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, to visit our dear friends, the Dube's. Yvonne and I met in a "Baby and Me" class through ECFE in when Gage was about 10 weeks old, and Gabrielle was about 6 weeks. Even after our move to Wisconsin, Yvonne and I kept in close touch and got together at least once or twice a month for visits and playdates. Gage and Gabi grew up together, and both are missing one another since the Dube's moved back to their home country of Canada last fall, 2009.

Ever since Gabi moved, Gage will ask at least once a week, "Mom, can we go to Canava to visit Gabi?" No matter how many times I've told him to say Cana-DA, he still pronounces it will a "V". I finally decided that we could make it work, and we left the twins home with Daddy and took a 4 day trip over Labor Day weekend.

We had a BLAST. It was so easy to be free of the twins (is that bad of me to say?) and just enjoy being a mom of one again. I had forgotten how easy it is to travel with just one child, which included one small carry-on bag, no stroller, no bottles or diapers, and just hand-holding to where we needed to go.

We spent most of the time at Brian and Yvonne's house, as there are plenty of toys and fun to be had by all. Gage especially liked the trampoline out back, and the kids were usually out there jumping in their pajama's at the crack of dawn. We took the kids to a wonderful kid amusement park, "Tinker Town" one day where the kids were able to go on rides all day long. Brian was also kind enough to allow Yvonne and I not one, but TWO times out...just the two of us, to shop and go out to eat. THAT was heaven within itself!

Since our return, Gage has asked me every couple of days when we can go back to visit Gabi again. Kind of breaks my heart, as I don't know when our next visit will be, but I hope within the next year that they can either get to WI for a visit, or we can get there...

But until next time, we have the photos, and more importantly the memories, of our wonderful visit, with wonderful friends.


Yeah. Um. The kids were gone "playing" quietly for awhile, and since we had just gotten there a little while before, Yvonne and I were deep in conversation and didn't know how long the quiet play had been going on. Thank goodness for washable markers, eh?

Another side note: These are Gabi's underwear. When the kids were jumping on the trampoline earlier, it was wet on the grass due to Winnipeg getting so much rain. Gage's pants and underwear were soaked, so Yvonne just gave him some of Gabi's!




Lil' Sophie. She's such a hoot. That is dirt on her face, and why I took the picture!


Making hot cocoa for breakfast!


The kids found a cool frog on our way home from the park. They named it Mr. Hopper Toad! I thought that was a cool name. They kept it in the fishbowl for a few days and then I made them put it back in the grass so it wouldn't die. I'm such a softie.












All of us on the Tilt-a-Whirl. Yvonne and I were both very ill for a good half hour after this ride. Very nauseated and fighting bad headaches. We realized we are getting older...


Little Miss Sophie






Brian and Yvonne



2 comments:

jenny said...

looks like an awesome trip! i love the 'body art' the kids did - bwaahahaa! it was nice you got to get away with just one of the boys too. :)

Jaci said...

THat picture of Gage in panties is awesome. Much material for bribes later in his life!!!