As mentioned above, this was my 6th visit to the Big Apple. I've went to a broadway show (Phantom of the Opera), saw the Rockefellar Plaza Christmas tree several times now, taken a carriage ride through Central Park, and a few other typical "New York" things.
But the thing I love the most, and the times when I have the most fun, is when I can just hang out with my sister- my best friend- and let the day just take us where it wants us to go!
On this particular visit, Katie and I ended up at "Spanky's BBQ", a place where she and her husband Johnny frequent on a fairly regular basis. Spanky's could be compared to a Famous Daves, although some of the items on the menu are a bit different. The one food item that they DO have, which Katie often rants about, is their DEEP FRIED PICKLE SPEARS! As mentioned in the State Fair post, I am a deep fried pickle fan, and can usually indulge in these little bites o' love one time per year. Well, folks, Spanky's has deep fried pickles and this is where our fun began.
We got to Spanky's at 3pm on a Sunday, split an appetizer of pickles, each had a meal, and a few beers. Katie and Johnny are regular-enough patrons that Katie and I actually drank for free. We sat there and visited with the bartender until about 6pm. HA!
Then, we decided to head back out on the city for awhile and see what else NYC has to offer. Well, when you can drink for free, and you've already "Been there, done that" during the day, we decided to go back to ole' Spanky's, get us another round of deep fried love, and have a few more beers.
Around 830pm, Spanky's needed to close and so the bartender shared a homemade shot of some sweet crap (Jolly Rancher?? Bluch.) with us, and we were on our way. Off to the bus station with a belly ache and big smiles. All because of DEEP FRIED PICKLES. Oh, and the beer.
(Katie, I love ya. Thanks for a great time, as always!)
No comments:
Post a Comment