It may be some comfort to know that these toddlers don't really want to drive us crazy, they just want to understand how we work.
-Alison Gopnik

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The lines are always long in New York City

I have been to NYC about 6 times in the past 3 years, due to my sister living in norther NJ. Can you believe after all of these trips, I have never been to the Statue of Liberty or to Ellis Island? I have never been inside the Empire State building, or to the front row of the "Today" show! (See next post of what I DO love to do while there!!)
This time, I thought I'd try to see the Statue of Liberty and at least take the ferry to Ellis Island. Katie and I got up (fairly) early and decided to head to Battery Park, which is about a 15 minute subway ride from where we get dropped off by the bus. We had to stop at a cool store, called "Century 21" that is about 5 floors worth of designer and namebrand EVERYTHING at huge discounted prices. So, we spent about 2 hours looking around in there.






By the time we got to Battery Park, the line was super duper long, as you can see by the picture, so I decided to take a picture with a plastic statue instead, and show you how close I got to the actual monument.
















These two pictures are a perfect example of "You had to be there" to enjoy the humor. However, I'll try my best to make it funny for you? (Okay, maybe not.)
Right across from Ground Zero (which they had entirely blocked off by the way, no more wall of names or anything right now as they are working on something) there is this statue of a man sitting and gazing into his briefcase. As Katie and I sat there, you would not believe the people that were absolutely fascinated by this statue and wanted to take their picture with it! In about 15 minutes, at least 20 people took random pictures with the statue; pretending to talk to him, look into his briefcase, having him listen on their cell phones, etc. It was SO FUN to watch everyone go crazy over this statue. If anyone out there reading this knows the significance of this statue (was it there when the towers came down??), please let me know, as Katie and I were stumped! Anyhow, we felt very left out and decided that we, too, would take our picture with the businessman statue. Don't I look intrigued?

No comments: