It may be some comfort to know that these toddlers don't really want to drive us crazy, they just want to understand how we work.
-Alison Gopnik

Monday, May 19, 2008

Injured Dog

I swear, keeping a pet or two around the house is guaranteed to make one's life interesting. Therefore, if you do not currently have a pet and you're missing some drama in your life, head to the nearest Humane Society right now and adopt. I also highly advise you to get a pet if you are feeling as if you have too much money laying around unspent. Once you received your extra tax money from the government, and you've been sitting there wondering what you should spend that money on...get a pet. I promise you, "disposable income" will have a whole new meaning!

Last Monday when Tim was out of town for work for a few days, I took Gage in the wagon and we took Jazz for one of his normal two-times-per-day walks. I noticed that he had a sore paw once we returned and discovered bloody paw prints throughout my mudroom and kitchen shortly after we arrived home. I looked at his paw, and thought he just tore part of his paw-pad...which he's done before.

Long story short which I am never good at doing, one week later his paw has doubled in size and he is no longer walking on it. He also spent the entire day yesterday sleeping, barely eating, and refusing to come up the stairs from outside, with Tim having to carrying him into the house last night for dinner. Tim took him into the vet first thing this morning, and it appears he has a terrible infection that has spread into his whole paw, and they wanted to rush him into surgery immediately. They also stated that it looked like he tore his tendon. After the surgery, we found out that the tendon is exposed, yet not cut, and the infection is now draining out into something...which I will know a bit more about once I actually see it. He has to spend one week with a cone on his head, which we all know that dogs LOVE.

We love this dog, and he is a part of our family, so this was very stressful on us today, but mostly on Tim, who considers that dog his first-born son! (Not really...Gage does take priority, but it's darn close sometimes when it comes to me vs. the dog!)

I will take pictures of Jazz in the cone just cause. And then I will place on this site.

Oh--and I did something crazy to my knee almost two weeks ago and am finally getting in to see a specialist on Friday. Let's hope I don't need surgery...OR a cone.

4 comments:

Swanson Family said...

I hope you don't need a cone... that would suck for being able to drink and do other fun things!!! WINK WINK!

Take care of everyone there!

Mary and Andy B said...

Sorry to hear about Jazz and your knee! Knee pain sucks! I was never a big dog fan until we got Molly so I understand the connection, although Andy will always get my attention before the dog?! Tim must be really attached to Jazz?! Hope you are all better soon! Can't wait to see the pics of the cone.

Jaci said...

I kinda hope you do need a cone. I'm not gonna lie, the mental picture cracks me the hell up.

Hang in there babe--you guys'll pull through this one, but what a bummer!

Anonymous said...

A speedy recovery to one and all. = )