It may be some comfort to know that these toddlers don't really want to drive us crazy, they just want to understand how we work.
-Alison Gopnik

Friday, May 2, 2008

Fashion Statement

I love how I take a month off from updating you with our family, yet I find time today to sit and write about something quite odd. But even though odd, I think I'll cause a lot of smiles with my reversal in time...
As I was driving to the Y this morning, I heard an ad on the radio mention the name "Gigi". That got me to thinking about a store I used to shop in junior high, called "Gigi". It was in the Oakwood Mall in Eau Claire, the "big" mall for us small town people to shop at (since we didn't have a variety in the twin cities area to choose from). Do any of you remember a store by that name?

Then my brain starting working REALLY hard, and I started to think about all the clothes stores that I used to shop at that no longer exist. Then I started to wonder, "Did they EVER exist?" or had I just made them up! So here is a blast from the past...or at least MY past.

  • County Seat: All I remember is light faded denim with lots and lots of pale blue and pale pink. I LOVED this store...I thought it was such cool stuff. Especially when you bought the sweatshirt or a t-shirt with the "County Seat" label on the front.
  • The "Id". Now this is one I wonder if anyone else will remember. If you lived where I did, you may remember the "Id" store in the Marshfield mall, right next to Younkers (which used to be PRANGE'S!!!! (That is another one that I just remembered!!!) My mom used to shop at the "Id" when I was a pre-teen (and screw calling me a "Tween". That is just a cute modern name for the pre-pubescent, pimple-faced, budding boobies, attitude-wearing sass-pants that we were when we were PRE-teens) and I thought I was SO COOL when I could shop there with my mom. Sadly, I was probably wearing adult-sized clothing when I was like 10 due to a summer of chocolate malts, pizza, and puberty.
  • Maurices--Now this is the one that is still around, and I have to admit I still shop at. I have very good luck there! I actually took about a 15 year break but went back a couple of years ago and actually get compliments on my stylin' clothes from there. But I'm talking in the day when you wore "Paris Sport Club". ROCK!
  • Remember when you actually went to a shoe store, such as Tradehome, and they measured your foot, knelt down and helped you put your shoe on, tied your shoe, and watched you walk around? And when they would push on your toes to see how close they were to the edge? Now, you are lucky to find your damn size at Famous Footwear, and when someone says, "Can I help you?" and you say, "Yeah, do you happen to have this in a 9?" the response you get is, "Whatever is on the shelf is what we have...but we can call another store for you". Yeah. Shoe Customer Service was great.
  • The Buckle, although still around...I have a fond memory of taking about 8 weekend nights' babysitting cash to buy my first pair of "Z. Cavvaricci" jeans. They were too "flare" at the bottom, so the store sent them out for a "customary" tailoring to make them tighter around the ankle. (I think this was last year??) Just kidding.
That is all my brain could remember. But a few other childhood memories that someone may be able to relate to...
  • We would always get an "Icee" at the Kmart snack shop (what?!) if we were good while in the mall. Yeah, funny that a K-Mart was an anchor store in a MALL!
  • My favorite pair of gym shorts in 7th grade were a pair of black spandex biker shorts with yellow and black checkers down the outer sides of the legs. HOT.
  • I wore a pair of white loafers to their death in 9th grade. I think I even shared them with a friend once. I remember a ton of clothes-trading. I wish I had more friends my size (and that I saw every day). It could maybe save me on my current clothes budget.
Sigh. That was fun. I can't wait to read the comments from this post from all my friends out there that can relate, and have many more stores/namebrands/geeky clothes stories to share with me! (And for the record, my 9th and 10th grade prom pictures should not be mentioned in this post. We're moving on from that!)

10 comments:

Jaci said...

Can I mention Red Lee-Press on Nails in this post? tee hee...

Well, since you asked & I'm not into working right now...My favorite item of clothing were a $75 pair of JEAN SHORTS that were bright teal green, with a big, white Girbaud label on the front fly.

I saved forever, got them at the Buckle & the free matching Teal & White Girbaud T-shirt to go with it. I tucked that shirt in only in the front, and let the back hang out. I rolled the shorts up 3 times to let the pockets hang out the bottom & then wore a bunch of bangle bracelets...and a pair of white habachi sandals w/o socks.

I was so smokin' hot.

Jaci said...

Maybe they were called Harachi sandals? I think a habachi is a grill.

I am so smokin' dumb.

The Foskett Family said...

I remember all of those stores mentioned but I never got to go to any of them. My mom always bought my clothes at the Fleet Farm and although they had very fasionable things, I always longed for something from the ID. I remember my mom always saying I was lucky to have any clothes at all and that she could make a dollar go much farther at the Fleet Farm. I was probably the only one in my whole high school who was in favor of school uniforms!

As I look back I remember being so pissed that my sister got to go to all the cool stores when she was in high school (cause my brother and I were grown and gone) but then she always handed her clothes on to me when she got bored of them (or when she got pregnant and gained 80 pounds!!!!) so eventually I did have some fun things to wear. Now I kind of like it....both of my siblings had kids before me so they hand down all of their clothes and my sister gave me all of her maternity clothes so I don't have to spend money on clothing for me and the boys currently and I LOVE IT!

With all of the money I am saving on the clothing I don't have to purchase I think I should be able to take a nice trip! (HMM...If only I weren't too pregnant to travel down the street for ice cream without my feet swelling???)

We are Three said...

I remember all of those stores too. But do you remember the Oakwood Mall advertising jingle?? Oh oh Oakwood, Oh Oh Eau Claire.. oh oh Oakwood..
LOL
Did you have The Closet on your list? Shopko (which is still very popular in EC and Chippewa).
Kara

Swanson Family said...

I remember: jelly shoes, Palmetos (the palm tree in the trinangle patch on the pocket), guess jeans ina variety of colors (I had orange ones with zippers to make them tapper in at the ankle, parachute pants, mulitples (there was an actualy store at Ridgedale), Contempo Casuals (still around, but do people still shop here?), how about Benetton bags!??!!? or Espirit?
GOT, it is fun to think back...

Thanks Jill!

The Van Nuland Family said...

I am so very temped to look through all my "school" pictures and post a few just to show everyone how "In Style" we were!

A Day In The Life.... said...

Vanity Fair was a big one...is that still around?
I remember having panicked mornings if there weren't any pins to pin my pants with. I'd end up calling my friends to bring me some! Geez.
Paris Sport Club had some stylin' clothes also.

Jill said...

Oh MY GOD, THE CLOSET! And K (I believe you are really Kara??) I, like, totally remember the Oakwood Jingle. I still sing it actually, and my family doesn't remember it! I remember when that cool mall opened! Since you are familiar with EC, do you remember when London Square was the big deal (before Oakwood??) We used to LOVE seeing the water fountains and getting to throw money into them.

Sarah-so sorry your mom made you shop at Fleet Farm. I thought Sears was bad enough.

Mar-
I never had a Bennetton bag, but I remember the stores...where all the $80 t-shirts were stacked so nicely on the shelves

Leah-I think it's just Vanity. And they are still around, at least where I come from.

Jaci-
Never heard of Harachi sandals. Sorry. I am going to Google them now.

Jenni-
Post pictures from high school and die. I have some doozies too. I believe I am in denim and white striped jean shorts with camel toe. Maybe not the camel toe, but they were tight. And you are in the picture, too!

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne said...

Hi Jill, it's Anne, Tim's lovely cousin! Just thought I would say hi. I started my blog again on here so here i am! Hope everything is going well; Gage is adorable! Can't wait to see you guys very soon. :D