It may be some comfort to know that these toddlers don't really want to drive us crazy, they just want to understand how we work.
-Alison Gopnik

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Super Service Shout Out

Being a blog lurker, I have found that several other blog authors group together with other bloggers and have a "theme" post on a certain day of the week. For instance, Jenny over at Stickyfeathers joins with several others and posts "Thoughts for Thursday" in which they discuss random topics and ask for opinions and suggestions. Eskimo Kisses and Air Hugs and pals religiously post "Works For Me Wednesdays WFMW" in which they tell how they've made their life a bit easier.
I was thinking that I would like to start a blog post theme of my own. I had an incident today in which I could have felt stupid, yet I received the BEST SERVICE and was completely amazed. I find that customer service has gotten to be so bad that it is rare to actually leave a store, restaurant or any other type of retail stand or service station and not feel a bit irritated about how you were treated. I don't know if the lack of pay is just starting to get people a bit down, or if the generation of workers who tend to be at these places just don't give a crap. I don't know. But rather than moan and complain (yes, I do--yes, ME!) when the service I receive is bad, why not send a shout out to the company or person that gave me GOOD service?

So my Super Service Shout Out today goes to the fine folks at Discount Tire, located in Inver Grove Heights, MN. They are located off of Hwy 52 and Concord. I had just left Farmington after visiting members of my old playgroup and hanging out at my friend Yvonne's house when I noticed my tire pressure light came on in my vehicle. I have to admit, I do not know how to put air in my tires. I continued to drive as I was far away from a gas station, and decided at the Concord exit to pull into a gas station to at least look at my tires. After noticing that my left rear tire was looking quite low, I looked around for an air pump and happened to see the Discount Tires station instead. I drove over there, and was immediately greeted at my window by one of their service men. He took a quick glance, stated "I see a screw in your tire", felt it and said it was leaking. He then said, "If you give us 20-25 minutes, we can take care of that for you, at no charge".
Me: "No charge??"
Service Man: "Nope. "
Me: "Why?"
Service Man: (smiles) "Because it's just something we do, as a complimentary service".

Seriously. They FIXED MY TIRE (and even if it doesn't last for very long, although they said it should be good as new) and I sat there taking up space for 20 minutes for FREE.

When finished, they showed me how to reset the tire pressure light, wished me well and the young guy (different than original service man) said, "You have a good evening ma'am, and drive safely now".

Was I in the United States?? And was I in Minnesota? Really??? I mean, not ALL my service experience has been bad. But this was over the top. It left me with a warm fuzzy feeling inside. (That part was just added for effect).

I LOVE IT. And I was just so overwhelmed by their kindness, that I thought of this great post idea.
Therefore, visit your local Discount Tire store and for all my other blogger friends, AND lurkers...
I challenge you to come up with your own Super Service Shout Out the next time you feel it is needed!

3 comments:

A Day In The Life.... said...

Awesome! It's kind of sad when good customer service is such a surprise.....

Swanson Family said...

I agree with Leah.

How nice for you though, the best is that you didn't jsut tell 10 friends for them, you told a whole blogging world!

Anonymous said...

It's good to know there is still good customer service out there. It seems like our society has gotten away from it and now, I am seeing more & more of the "give a little, get a little" attitude...pay it forward!
-Cara Benson