Several years ago, while working at the company where I met one of my dearest friends, Jenny, I made the comment that "I could never run more than a mile". Jenny refused to let me say this, and she began to encourage me to start running with her. We started out going for very short runs; maybe 1 mile or close to 2 without stopping. Jenny has a tendency to map out runs before I run them with her...then tell me, "I'll tell you how far you went when we are all done". Each and every time she has surprised me.
When I lived in Minnesota, she and I would meet two times a week, and sometimes on the weekends, to run different routes. They were usually 1.5 miles one way, and then 1.5 miles back with a short walk in between. This was "just enough" for me. Jenny is just what I need when I'm running. If I say anything negative when I am running, such as "I am going to need to stop and walk", or "I really don't think I can finish" (and I do tend to say things like this a lot, but I'm getting better, she even said so!), Jenny will simply say, "Yes you can (finish)", "You are not going to walk, you are going to keep going", "You can finish, you are doing great."
Then we decided that we were going to sign up for a 5k. So, in October 2005, just weeks before finding out I was pregnant with Gage, we each ran our first 5k race. My goal was to make it under 30 minutes without stopping. I didn't stop once, but I don't think I made it in under 35 minutes...which was just fine! It was quite the accomplishment! We then did a 10k together in April 2007, in which I did not stop one time either, so I was definitely proving to myself that indeed, "I could run".
Even since I have moved, and Jenny has gotten married and changed jobs, we still try to meet once every few months to run together. Today was one of those days. Today was actually supposed to be our 3rd 5k run together, as it's the Twin Cities marathon weekend, but I really have had a difficult time getting back into running since being pregnant this summer. Therefore, I basically told Jenny that I was chickening out of the race, as I didn't want to disappoint myself and have to stop, or come in a lot later than my past times. These are ridiculous excuses, I understand that, however I just didn't feel like paying the money for the race and having to be there at a certain time, etc. BUT...
I still wanted to run, and so Jenny and I decided to meet at Lake Calhoun in Minneapolis for a run around the lake.
The day started like all of our past runs; Jenny told me that she would tell me how far we had run AFTER we were done. About halfway around the lake, Jenny tells me that we are running around the lake TWICE.
What?!?!?!?!?!
I can see the building from where we started, and it wasn't even halfway around the lake yet!!! I cannot run around this damn lake nearly 1.5 more times!
I stopped twice; once to use the porta potty, and once just to take a short breather....BUT I did it! Jenny kept up her old ways, telling me "You are going to keep running", "You are not going to stop", "No, Jill, we haven't ran a 5k yet"....etc., etc., etc.
When all was said and done??
--We ran around the lake TWO times.
--I only stopped two short times.
--The run was 6.2 miles.
I had just run a 10k, when I didn't think I could do a 5k.
Pretty Amazing.
Everyone needs a Jenny. Not only for a running partner, but for a great friend!
THANK YOU, JENNY!
5 comments:
jill - that is totally AWESOME! that has to be such a great feeling. can you send her my way? :)
No kidding! I need a motivator like that!
Kara
You should have ran the 10 mile!!! Next year!!! You can do it!
Whoo--hooo! Good for you!
That is AWESOME!! I need someone like that. Can you rent Jenny? I wish I had one here. I've been looking!
xo, Audrey
Post a Comment