There is a man in Northern New Jersey that is dying of cancer.
Right now.
This man has worked hard his entire life; he doesn't have a degree, but has been working ever since he was a young adult. He has kept a job, paid taxes, and contributed to the economy like each and every one of us. A hard worker, never asking for handouts.
A little while ago, he got a new job at Walmart, but he had only been there a little while when he found out he was very, very sick. His insurance hadn't kicked in yet, so when he went to the doctor and was told that his lung cancer had spread into other parts of his body, including his shoulder, they told him there was nothing they could do for him. He didn't have insurance, so he wasn't able to pay for any treatment. In fact, the very Doctor that diagnosed him refused to see him again, because he couldn't pay.
He applied for and received some benefits, and has been able to participate in chemotherapy. He has been able to come up with some money to pay for his medications.
His loving family organized a benefit for him, to assist with these bills.
He has a wife, and a home, and people who love him very much. But, because he is not insured, he was turned away again today because there was nothing the hospital could do for him.
I know there is more to this story than even I know. And I apologize to his family if I have incorrect information in this post. But my heart absolutely breaks for this man, and his wife, to know that because he doesn't have silver-lined pockets he isn't quite worthy of the same medical attention that I would receive tomorrow, if needed.
You see, I have health insurance right now. And the funny thing is, I'm not even employed full-time! I am "lucky" enough to be married to someone who is, and who has damn good benefits. I am "lucky" enough to live in a part of the country where the healthcare system is excellent--some of the best in the world. (i.e. Mayo) I am "lucky" enough to have a savings account that could help pay for my medical bills right now, for awhile, if I needed them.
Am I more worthy than the man in New Jersey?
9 comments:
Are you trying to bring everyone down?
Not to be harsh and cold but if we think of all of the sad stories in the world we'd never be able to function in life. Life's not fair it's full of chance circumstance. Cherish every moment you have and don't let the small things get you down.
Yo anonymous. If you can't even leave your name, then get off my blog and go anonymously comment on someone else's. Seriously.
Anonymous, what I think is sad is your comment to this post. "Don't let the small things get you down." A person was turned away and has not been able to recieve the care that should be given due to an unfortunate circumstance. A persons life is not considered a "small thing". I thank Jill for making this post and sharing this story with others.
where did anonymous come from? dude. this is a sad story, but if it is not shared, it is only ignored and we have to stop ignoring the problems in our own country! maybe that guy could apply for a $700 billion bailout and get the help he needs? i'm rambling - it's friday and i've ate too much halloween candy already. :)
It is a sad story. Hopefully something great will come out of all of this for this man. I am glad you shared the story. the even sadder thing is that this guy is not alone 1. without insurance and 2. with cancer.
I'm glad that I have a few people that read my blog that know full well that I am not one to "try" to bring people down. I chose to share this story because he is someone I know, and sometimes the wrong ways of this world really get to me and I wanted to focus for once on a sad truth...not necessarily focus on the negative. Most that truly know me, know that I'm a positive person, but we all have our limits, right?
And...if anonymous isn't just a random blogger that felt the need to share, maybe he/she could look back at all of my posts and see it isn't often that I bring a controversial subject up. I decided to share a bit more this time, than just my random family happenings....and then I get flack for it. Oh, well. Free speech goes both ways I guess!
I'm just very disappointed that those who wish to be heard don't want you to know who they are. There are a lot of times that I don't agree with a blog that I may be reading, but I choose not to go back, rather than leave a negative comment.
And I agree with Katie...
to say that this is a "small thing" that I'm letting get me down is a disgrace to the person in my story that I was referring to in the first place.
As Jaci would say, (and I finally get the meaning of) "I digress".
A. Jaci also says that 'anonymous' is a douchebag, to use my other favorite phrase. Um, can't even post your own name?!?
B. "Life's not fair it's full of chance circumstance"...that doesn't even make sense! What a motto to live by, my god.
I hope that the next time something unfortunate (by chance/circumstance of course) happens to you--ANONYMOUS, someone asks YOU if you are trying to bring everyone down.
No comment was necessary, but Anon chose to post one--just to what? Put Jill in her place? Or what exactly? Guess this one gets me fired up.
Life's not always peaches & cream, and as every 1st grader learns, if you don't have anything useful to contribute-don't comment on the blog. Simple as that! Amen Jill--I got your back.
:o)
BTW: Not that my comment was that useful either, but you know what I mean, right?
Post a Comment