It may be some comfort to know that these toddlers don't really want to drive us crazy, they just want to understand how we work.
-Alison Gopnik

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

You know you should have stayed in bed when....

So I had a really bad day. A REALLY.BAD.DAY.

It's almost two weeks over now, so this will be short and sweet. I took photos when it was occurring because at first it was funny. Then, it wasn't funny and it was a pain in the butt. But all along I thought how fun it would be to post it and tell you all about it, not realizing what a flaming idiot it would make me look like. Ha.

So the long and short of it is:
I dropped Gage off at his one day of week of daycare to 1) complete a TON of work from 3 parties during the earlier part of the week, and 2) to clean my house as I had offered to host a mom's night out event at my place and the place was a mess. Keep in mind, Tim is gone this entire week for work so I'm not getting any extra help.

I come home from dropping off Gage and walk into this:
The picture doesn't quite do it justice.

A brand new large gallon container of detergent has fallen off the washer while in spin mode and exploded all over my floor. It has guzz-guzzled out until the container was empty. Lovely.
I have clean clothes draped on the counter on my right that needed to be ironed fully splattered with blue detergent. I have 3 piles of clothes on the floor that were soaked in the detergent as well that are now piled into the sink. There is a 2 foot space behind the washing machine that is covered with detergent, about 2 inches high (as the floor is slightly slanted to allow for a drain, and for messes such as these, I suppose) and I can tell my floor boards are have soaking up this detergent for awhile now. I attempt to wipe this up with a towel, and then I decide to throw the towel in the washer and put it on "rinse and drain", despite the caution from my mother, with whom I called to tell her about my ordeal.

Keep in mind I am laughing the whole time. I mean, it technically IS funny. And, what are you going to do?!

So yeah. Um, I left the room for a few minutes as my socks were covered in detergent and my knees were soaked. And I came back and discovered this:

Ha Ha Ha, Hoo-Hoo. Heeee......yep still laughing.

So I took a bucket and hand-scooped out about 4 full buckets' worth of suds, dumped them into the sink. Tried to rinse them all off. Gave up. Said screw it. Tried to pull the washing machine away from the wall, (yes, it was empty). I pulled. And grunted. And got up on the counter and tried to pull. And push. And, and, and....

Sat down and cried. No, I bawled. I literally broke down for about 20 minutes in a bawling, heaving pile of crap, yelling "Why, me?".

I called the neighbor, left a message for his assistance when he got home, changed my clothes, shut the door to the laundry room until he came over at 4pm. Once the machine was away from the wall, I was able to sop the mess up--this time with paper towels, and wash my floor appropriately.

Yep. That was my very bad day.

3 comments:

A Day In The Life.... said...

I've had a similar mess myself. One good thing about the situation? Your laundry room will smell so good!!

Jaci said...

That really is a wasted space next to the washer, isn't it. Lame! Congrats for surviving...what a bitch of a spill!

The Van Nuland Family said...

All I have to say is better you than me. :)