It may be some comfort to know that these toddlers don't really want to drive us crazy, they just want to understand how we work.
-Alison Gopnik

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

4th of July Festitivies

During the first years of our marriage, Tim and I would often say to one another that we really needed to start some sort of a tradition over the 4th of July holiday. For a few years before finding out that we were pregnant, we would spend the day with some friends and their extended families but we never quite felt "in the loop", if you know what I mean. I always felt as if we were invading their family celebration.
After leaving this particular families' celebration on the 4th of the July in 2005, both Tim and I agreed that the following year we would come up with something really fun and special to do and we would make it a tradition. We didn't have anything in mind, but it was something we promised to seek out--a new 4th of July tradition.

Who could have predicted that the following July 4, 2006 would find us in the labor and delivery room in Northfield, MN, awaiting the arrival of our first son. It was then joked about by Tim and I that "We won't need to worry about what our plans will be for the 4th of July holiday....EVER again!" Gage ended up arriving on the 5th of July of course, which still left us looking for plans on the 4th.

I think we've found our new tradition.

"Just Us". Getting ready to watch the fireworks in New Richmond.
Gage and buddy Nathan D. Both in their "jammies" ready for the big display.
Gage's reaction when the first fireworks went off. "All Done". And he just kept repeating this, over and over....I don't think he liked the noise although he never did cry like he did last year.
This is Gage and Daddy INside the van. Gage is reaching up to pull the door closed...this is where they watched the fireworks from!

We were invited over to our friends house, Mark and Denise, who have 5-year-old Arianna and 2-year-old Nathan. Gage and Nathan are in playgroup together and really do have a lot of fun together.
Playing at Nathan's house.
Mark and Denise's neighbors came over to play and BBQ with as well. From left to right: Arianna, Gage (making eyes at a cute girl, as always) Bella, Beau, and Nathan.
Arianna, Gage, Bella, Beau, and Nathan. Bella has a twin brother, Brady, but he didn't want to be in the picture!
Cheeeeeeeese!





No comments: