It may be some comfort to know that these toddlers don't really want to drive us crazy, they just want to understand how we work.
-Alison Gopnik

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Smarty Pants

So my child is getting smart. Really smart.

He hasn't been much of an "I want, I want" kid, until most recently. Usually shopping trips to places like Target and Walmart go fairly smoothly, although I will forever prefer to complete these trips alone!

Today was a major "I want" day. I literally had 5 things on my list, but by the afternoon, I am really starting to hurt. My back is sore, my belly is heavy, my ankle (just the right one, for now) is swollen) and I don't usually even bother attempting shopping after 3 pm. This is why.

Gage says, "I want" to every.single.thing.we.pass. "I want one of those". "I want a balloon". "I want that". I ignore him for the most part, grabbing my 5 items, and finally choose an aisle.

While in line, (note: Walmart has around 15 check-out lanes. On a GOOD day, 3 are open, with 3-4 carts ahead of you. Not ideal for people with "I want" children. This is why I like Target better. I digress.) Gage starts to lean over the side of the cart and points to the candy and starts the "I want one of those". I tell him, "No" and ignore. It's working so far!

Then he turns to his left and sees the pop cooler. "I want a pop" he says.

I then reply with, "You know, Gage, I want a lot of things. I want a new car. I want skinny ankles. I want you to stop saying 'I want'. Heck, Mama even wants a Diet Coke right now, but she can't have one, because she's pregnant".

Gage looks at me and says in his most matter-of-fact voice, "Well I not pregnant. YOU are".

I think he really thought this argument was going to get him a pop. HE IS NOT EVEN THREE. ARGH!

2 comments:

The Foskett Family said...

OMG, that is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time! I needed a good Gage story to get me through the day! Too hilarious!

Meyer said...

SUPER funny...love it. He is going to be such an awesome older brother!