So it got me to thinking that this would be fun to talk about, and I would love to share with you some of my own fond memories of my childhood, and I'd love to hear about yours! If you have a blog of your own, feel free to post this, or just comment on my post. Either way, it's always fun to look back on the good ole' days and it sometimes helps to put things into perspective that we may have let our busy lives get away on us and we need to take a step back and remember when life was a whole lot more simple.
- I remember listening to my albums and read-along storybooks on my Fisher Price record player. I LOVED that thing. I think that is why I love music to this day. I always checked out records and read-along books from our library. Does anyone remember the song, "Little Goldie Goldfish"? I have tried Googling it, but haven't come up with anything. I'd love to find that song again. I can still sing some of it. And for the "record" (no pun intended) I still have that record player and a bunch of my albums to go along with it!
- My cousins and I used to be so creative. We didn't need boardgames or special toys to have fun. We would make up dance routines to any song (Toto 's "Child's Anthem" -Dear GOD! and Michael Jackson's "Beat It" to name a few). We would set up a full Obstacle course throughout my Grandma's entire back porch to resemble that of one you would find on Nickolodean's "Double Dare" show. We would play "house" and "Restaurant" for hours and hours at a time.
- Riding my bike from our house on Grand Ave to a park about 4 blocks away. I am not sure I would let my boys ride that far away from home nowadays. I know bad things happened back then, too, but it just seemed different, didn't it?
- Before the days of VCR's, do you remember actually getting excited to watch a movie on TV? Once a year, "The Wizard of Oz" would play on TV and it was such a special night for us. My mom LOVES this movie, so she was just excited. We used to get to pick out a special treat at the store for our "movie night" and I think both my sister and I were scared of the wicked witch, and maybe even the flying monkeys!
- Saturday morning cartoons. When there WERE such a thing. Snorks, Smurfs, Ducktakes, Shirt-tales, Bugs Bunny...just to name a few. I also loved the Muppet Show, when we had cable (before 3rd grade when we moved to the "country" and didn't GET cable). When the Muppet Christmas show was on this year, I couldn't get Gage to watch it for 5 minutes. Just not interested in it.
2 comments:
This one is a random memory, like most of my good ones, that revolves around food. With so many of us at home, our favorite 2 meals were 1) when my dad would get out the big huge pot and pour 3 huge cans of spaghettio's, one plain, one with meatballs and one with franks in to the pan. Then we'd all get our own spoons and either try to eat out of the pan directly, or scoop as many of our favorite (mine was always the franks) into my own bowl. Inevitably we'd all be fighting and screaming and coming to blows over the spaghettio's. Then dad would come over with the ladle and even it all out. Silly, but we would ooooh and aaaaah until we each had 3 meatballs and 6 franks and our bowls were at the exact same height. I can see my kids doing that already. Milo has more than me! I've got 3 times as much as you Q. All those games.
My second favorite meal was when we popped popcorn in our old-fashioned oil & electric popcorn maker thing and had a gallon of ice cream and 2 liters of A&W root beer for rootbeer floats. And that was dinner. And we thought we were SO cool and getting such a treat. The amount of ice cream & popcorn we'd eat was amazing! :o)
Silly memories, but when we were eating or cooking it was all about team work and fairness, because if you were a hog--dad would bust you. If you weren't watching, someone would take more, and if you didn't make sure everyone had the exact same amount...well...we'd pitch a fit until that person got in trouble!
The joys of 8 kids under 1 roof!
I just remember how much I absolutely DESPISED my little sister. I am glad we are friends now, but Man was it painful having to share everything with her!
I remember all of the trips we took as a family. I loved the vacations, but I hated that we always had to sit in birth order and I was smack dab in the middle of my brother and my sister and they fought like crazy! "He's looking at me" "She's breathing too loud" on and on and on for miles! Even the .75 miles to church was painful!
I was SOOO Happy when my dad implemented the roll rule! (Depending on the Destination, he would give us each a roll of dimes/nickles/quarters) If there was fighting, bickering, nagging, pinching, punching, spitting (a REAL GREAT time to be caught in the middle) or any other unacceptable behavior, my parents would simply hold out one hand and you had to pay them one (insert coin here). If you had any money left, you could spend it on the trip. It made for much more enjoyable car rides! AND THANK GOD THEY CAME UP WITH THIS PLAN BEFORE THE 24 HOUR DRIVE TO FLORIDA AND BACK!
I also remember all of the little weiner dogs we had (not at the same time) but I loved those little weiners! I wish my toddlers could have one, but I married someone who is ALLERGIC to EVERY ONE OF THEM!
I remember going to my grandma's house to swim in her pool. (Ironically, my granny can't swim) but we used to LIVE out in that pool ALL SUMMER LONG!
I also remember spending time with my other granny. She was the best cook!
AHHH....a stroll down memory lane...good plan Jill!!!!
Post a Comment