It may be some comfort to know that these toddlers don't really want to drive us crazy, they just want to understand how we work.
-Alison Gopnik

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Holy Kettlebells, Batman, My HIPS (and abs,, and butt, and arms) HURT!

So I signed up for this extra fee class at the health club, as I had heard much about it and was interested.  It is a phenomenal workout, and I'm really loving it, however it is a true butt-kicker. 

For all those unsure of what a "kettlebell" is, here is a picture:

My trainer, Jake, describes them as a cannon ball with handles.  They come in all sorts of sizes and weights, ranging from about 8  lbs all the way up into the 50 lbs. or higher.  I tend to work with the 30-50 lbs ones, which seems SO HIGH to me, however when you are working out, you tend not to pay too much attention and just "do it". 

There are very specific ways you need to hold the kettlebell in order not to injure yourself, and there are so many different exercises you can do with them in order to build and strengthen all parts of your body.  The main focus happens to be the core, which is what I really need the extra work on.  However, the arms, lower back, butt cheeks and thighs get a great workout, too.

I really am loving these sessions.  I have never worked regularly with a personal trainer before, so it's kind of nice getting that one-on-one attention and focus in order to get a better workout.  Plus, it's not the same old-same old treadmill/eliptical/aerobics classes that I've always been prone to do when going to the gym.  It's just a nice change of pace, and with how sore I am all over the next day, I know I am working parts of my body that really need it.


2 comments:

Swanson Family said...

I want in!

Jaci said...

Those tiny little things are rockin' you hard core. You look great. It's worth the extra bucks.