It may be some comfort to know that these toddlers don't really want to drive us crazy, they just want to understand how we work.
-Alison Gopnik

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Why do I Blog? That is the question.

Do you ever wonder why someone blogs?

When I used to have time to do "blog surfing", I used to be a frequent visitor to several different blogs.  One was of a new father whose wife died 24 hours after giving birth to their daughter, and he blogged about his adjustments to single fatherhood and being a widower.
One that I still pop onto occasionally is the Pioneer Woman, who talks about her life on a cattle ranch and offers photography and cooking advice and lessons (over my head).  One blog that I used to visit was of an East Coast mother of 4  boys, all under the age of three.  Shortly after the birth of her 4th son, she turned her blog into a business and started advertising all sorts of products and giving out fashion advice.  Yeah.  Not so much interested anymore.

So why did I start to blog?  Quite honestly, the reason I started blogging was to keep my sister in the loop of our lives here in the midwest and to allow her to watch Gage grow up from a distance.  When pregnant with Gage, and for almost the entire first year of his life, I paid for a baby website that I would use to take pictures of my belly as it was growing, Gage's first taste of cereal, his first haircut, etc.  Then my friend Leah, (A Day in the Life) let me know of this free "blog" deal.  Although it seemed overwhelming at first, I quickly found out that not only was it much easier than the baby site I was maintaining, but it was FREE!

And thus began my life into the blogging world.  I have found that I am not interested in advertising on my blog, as I really don't feel that I have enough people visiting my site for it to make a difference.  Also, I truly don't WANT a ton of strangers visiting my site.  I try to keep information on the down-low sometimes, as I don't list our address or phone number and I try not to list pertinent details of our location or whereabouts at any given time.  Fortunately, I haven't had many problems in terms of spam or creepy "lurkers", however if I were to find that I was dealing with those issues, as my friend Jaci currently is, I will password protect my site.  And I may just do that eventually anyhow.

If you blog, why do you do so?

If you don't blog, why not?  Do you think it's silly?  Do you think it's too invasive?  Do you just not care to maintain a site?  Do you think your life is boring, or your writing is not good enough?

I find that other than having twins which is a tiny bit out of the ordinary, my life is pretty average compared to most of the people I know.  However, things happen every day around here that I feel are blog-worthy.  Sometimes I want to share them with people and try to make them laugh, or maybe help you to appreciate your day if you're thinking your workday is getting long.

It could always be worse.....you could have poop under your fingernails, or spit up in your hair....

6 comments:

Swanson Family said...

Good posts and you are off to a good start! :) nice work!

I blog because it is a place for me to let lose of some things I have on my mind. b/c I think my friends care and want to know what is going on with me, and because I liek to stay in touch with everyone else.

I don't mind keeping it up and actually enjoy it. I wish I was much more funny and could tell a story like you and Jaci or have some really creative posts like Leah.
I do wish that I knew more of what this blog site could do, like how you posted the shutter fly pics and how leah has her ipod stuff on hers and so on. but oh well. mine will just stay more boring.

its an outlet and i love it.

plus like you said... its FREE

Jill said...

Mar-Too funny you say that about the Shutterfly thing. I was trying to download pictures from the Shutterfly site that you sent...and post them on the blog but I couldn't figure out how to do it from my laptop! I "accidentally" found a button that said "Post to Facebook or Blog" so that is how I got that on there...and that is not even what I was going for!

jenny said...

i started blogging for the same reason: to share what's happening in our lives with our family and friends. then it became more. i have 'friends' in blogland that relate because they are in the exact same spot in life or have been there before. it is nice to have that kind of a community to lean on sometimes.

but the creepers - suck. i've changed/deleted previous blogs, password protected, and blocked ip addresses to keep certain people away. good times.

oh, and for some reason, i'm more apt to blog than write in a baby book - haha! good thing i have a record somewhere for all that good stuff. :)

A Day In The Life.... said...

i started blogging mostly for my out of town/state family to keep up with our lives (guess i just assumed they wanted to do that),
it is fun as i look back on some of the posts, pics and comments and just smile

The Foskett Family said...

Jill....it was you who turned me on to the blog world. I started my blog after your visit to our home in 07. It is a great way for our families to keep up with what the boys are up to.

When I was home on Maternity Leave I did a lot of blogsurfing when I was up in the middle of the night a lot. I completely enjoyed seeing that there were other moms out there going through the SAME things and I sure needed the entertainment some of those LONG nights!

You have some pretty funny friends!

I also am thrilled to have a blog because when I miss the boys on my long work days, I can look at their pics.

I sometimes use pics of my kids on the blog to bribe one of my special ed students to get ANYTHING done....because it works! He LOVES to see pics of the boys and he even gives me some ideas for blog posts once in a while and then works really hard so that he can go on the internet to see it......

And...If I don't have a post up by 7pm on Sundays...I get a very panicked phone call from one of the relatives wondering if we are all ok?

Jaci said...

I blog because I'm always looking for a reason to talk. Honestly. I have a lot to say. Not much of it is relevant, interesting or creative. But it's what rolls through my brain & it's a great outlet for me!

I also think it helps put me in perspective...Admittedly, I can be a lot to take in a little while, so little doses do a body good. Check in, get the poop on the scoop with the Duke's and you're good to go! :o)