It may be some comfort to know that these toddlers don't really want to drive us crazy, they just want to understand how we work.
-Alison Gopnik

Monday, February 15, 2010

I Dislike Mondays

I want to use the word "Hate", but I am trying very hard to not sue that word. It sounds really yucky coming out of the mouth of a three-year-old, so I'm trying to use the word dislike more. But anyhow.

I really do hate Mondays. I don't know what it is about them, but I have come to dread them like the plague. I tell myself over and over and over that it's just another day, that I should be grateful to see yet another one, that I just need to keep myself busy to keep the day rolling. But the day just causes me to feel dreadful, and I don't know what to do about it.

I remember reading Garfield comic strips when I was younger and Garfield always grumbled about Mondays. It wasn't until I got older, and was in college that I started to "get it". Mondays in college always meant starting all over with a full four days of classes and work, just to get to that Thursday night when the parties would start and you could rock the weekends. (If you were like me, you always packed Monday-Thursday full and avoided Friday classes!) Then when I graduated and started working, I actually didn't mind Mondays, because although my last of my 3 post-college jobs was by far my favorite and most enjoyable, I never minded going to work because I was happy to be working and always liked my jobs.

Now that I'm a stay-at-home mom, you'd "think" that I would not consider Monday any different than any other day. And for the most part, it's true. My Saturdays are like my Tuesdays, and my Sundays are like my Thursdays. I'm home. All day.
I go to the gym, do a little pre-school pickup here and there, run a few errands, go to bed early. All 7 days of the week.

But there is just something about Mondays that make me depressed. I don't do housecleaning. I don't run errands. I just want to sleep all day, but that is no longer an option.

I think I need to get a grip!

1 comment:

The Foskett Family said...

I have hated mondays ever since I first started teaching nine years ago. And today was one of the mondays I hate the most....the weekend events the kids come to share about on Mondays often lead to a call to CPS (as today did) and I just dread it, because I am always so happy to be home with my boys on the weekend, and then I spend most of monday feeling guilty that I had such a GREAT weekend while these helpless little kids that I teach were living through a nightmare.....