It may be some comfort to know that these toddlers don't really want to drive us crazy, they just want to understand how we work.
-Alison Gopnik

Friday, February 26, 2010

Vaguebooking

At the beginning of the month, I got together with some of my girlfriends (many who have family blogs listed on the right side of the screen) and we got to talking about Facebook, and some of the things that annoy us. One of the things that came up was people who update their status every 5 minutes. Such as:
"Going to do laundry", "Folding laundry", "putting the laundry away and then headed out to dinner with friends".
That may be kind of extreme, but for many of us who are on Facebook, we see that at least one or more of our "friends" (a whole other topic!!) are regular posters with rather pointless headlines.

But then there are those people that I mentioned that like to put out posts that just require a whole bunch of "What is going on?" responses. Such as, "Just got some really bad news :(" or "SOME people just need to grow up!"

No kidding, the very next day I happened to pop onto Urban Dictionary to look up the meaning of my name (another Facebook game I got sucked into....a whole other topic!!!) and the "Word of the Day" was "Vaguebooking".

"Vaguebooking:
An intentionally vague Facebook status update, that prompts friends to ask what's going on, or is possibly a cry for help.
Mary is: "wondering if it is all worth it"
Mark is: "thinking that was a bad idea"

Example:
"Have you talked to Mark? He's vaguebooking again. I wonder if he's back with Mary..."

Opposite:

Tammy is: "in line at the grocery store"

I know that when it comes to Facebook, and especially since there are people of ALL AGES on Facebook, from small children (this is wrong, in my opinion; a whole other topic!!) to the elderly, you are going to get a little bit of everything. You are going to get those people that use Facebook as their ONLY means of communication and they want the entire world to know when they are cooking, cleaning, making friends and using the bathroom, and then you will get those that only check it for updated pictures of family members and friends (my mom). I used to update my status more regularly, but I was finding that I was getting annoyed with even my own status updates, so I've decided to to just let it go...unless there is something I really want to share.

I don't want to offend anyone that uses Facebook in a way different than I choose; but I did want to spark some discussions about your thoughts on those people who "vaguebook"....
or other Facebook annoyances you may have.

As I haven't received too many comments on my last few posts, I will be interested who is reading my posts this lovely Friday in February.

:)

3 comments:

Swanson Family said...

I am reading! I don't get on to FB very often, but when I do and see how many times certain people comment on what they are doing, it makes me crazy! jsut think of how much better their time could be spent doing good things for others? especially if they are lucky enough not to have to work for a living in any capacity and just sit at home on a computer. GOOD GOD. don't get me started!

TGIF!

A Day In The Life.... said...

I hate when people vaguebook ~ worse than those than post every 8 seconds of the progress througout the day. Annoying!

jenny said...

hahhaahaha - this is hilarious. i have all my 'stuff' linked together: twitter/facebook/blog - so i post one place, it goes everywhere. but i try not to post hourly updates or stupid random (constant from some people) complaining about life or whatever. i really love using my tweets or facebook status to ask a question and poll people about something. :) oh, and sometimes i delete my own crap because i hate seeing it! lol!

i also hate when people put quotes in their status all the freaking time as it is some kind of motto for their life or something.

okay, i could go on forever. :)