Why did you pick the names you did for your kids? Are they family names? Did you know years ago what you would name your children? Do you know the story behind your own name?
To answer some of my own questions....
First I will share with you what I know about I got my own name. My mother went to a movie when she was pregnant with me titled "The Other Side of the Mountain". Some of you may remember this movie, or be familiar with it, however I have never seen it. I have only been told that it was based on a true story of a woman named Jill who was paralyzed in a downhill skiing accident. She was able to overcome the obstacle of her paralysis and continue skiing. Very inspiring, especially to an emotional, pregnant woman!
My middle name is Denise, and I was named after my mom's brother Dennis, or Denny as he was called, who died at age 17 in 1970 from a short battle with leukemia. My mom was 16 when he passed away and was very close to her brother. She wanted to name me Denise, and call me Denni, but another family member on my dad's side had a daughter named Denise and my mom didn't want two Denise's in the family. So she settled on using it for a middle name. Had I had a daughter, there was a possibility I would have used Denise as the middle name.
As for my kids, well, Tim and I just liked different. My goal all along was to find and use a name that was not located on the current "Top 100 Baby Names" list. With Gage and Bronson I succeeded; Landon, however made #25 on Baby Center's Top 100 for 2009. But I am still okay with it, as I really like the name. I have places that I have heard the names before, however I did not know one person named Gage before we used it, and the only Bronson I know is about 28 years old and from my hometown. The only Landon I had heard of before was the son of the girl who used to cut my hair when I lived in Eagan, MN. Now I know several Landon's.
And because I am finally able to say that my three sons will be my only three children, I think I can share with you the girls' names I had picked out when pregnant. They are different, too, and they are still very dear to my heart so no negative comments about them, please! Although very content with the fact I will never have a daughter (really and truly content) there will always be a special place in my heart for the "What If" moments, and therefore the names I would have used.
Had Gage been a girl, "she" would have been named Glenna Kate. Had the twins been girls they would have been Sailor Kate and Reagen Denise. Different, I know! But man, I was excited about those names!
But I wouldn't trade my Gage, Bronson, or Landon for the world, of course!
Your turn!
5 comments:
Love all the names. this was a cool post. I think I had heard the story about your name before, the first name, but not the middle name.
and for sure no more kids? really? I wouldn't have pictured it that way.
you want to know about all my names? I'll tell you sometime, or maybe I'll blog about it... even better! its too long to write as a "comment"
You'd better blog about it, cause I want to know!
And yes, we are FOR.SURE.DONE.
These twins have thrown me for a loop and given me a definite feel that my family is truly complete. Me and my three sons!
My parents were VERY creative, I was named after my dad's mom and my sister was named after my mom's mom.
Our boys.....well that was ugly! Brad was INSISTANT on a CAR name. Sometime during the hunt I fell in love with the name Nash...so Nash it was.
Picking the second name was ugly....just plain UGLY! Linc N (another car) yep....Love it now....at the time NOT AMUSED at the ploy to pass another car name by me.
In the end my granny was born in NASHville and my grandpa was born in the land of LINColn so there is a family tie to their names!
ALSO DONE with the babies, We never had to have a girl name picked out so the names probably would have been Nova and Sienna (Brad thought of that when we saw your new van by the way....but then found out it was going to be another boy) He also liked the name Journey (which is my fave band) but we never needed girl names and I am VERY HAPPY I WILL NEVER BE THE MOTHER OF THE BRIDE!
FUN!
Well we also debated long and hard about names, if we had a girl it would have been Penelope for sure. We agreed on that together and have no alternatives. After a fantastic seaside al fresco restaurant we ate in on our honeymoon in Greece. It was the epitome of everything fanastic about our trip. We would have called her Penny though, always insisting on a nickname at the Duke's house! The middle name would have been Kathleen (even though Penelope Kathleen Dukowitz is a mouthful) because it's my middle name--and both yes BOTH of my Grandma's first name.
Quentin...my hubbs is a die hard Tarantino fan, we were watching Kill Bill, when I was pregnant and we both just had an Aha moment. Loved it.
On the list were Wes, Ryder (cory hates), Roy (i despised), and Cory's #2--which we fought over between Milo and Harmon. He loved, loved and still loves Harmon.
There you go!
We picked Colton after reading through tons of baby books. I don't remember even debating over any other names - when I read that one, we both said yes right away. Would have been Jadyn if he was a girl.
Brett - we didn't know what we were having. If he was a girl - Bella Karin. Bella because we love the name and Karin (pronounced Car In) because it's my middle name. Brett was actually going to be Nolan for quite a long time, but about two weeks before I went into labor, we were sitting on the deck and the name Brett came up in conversation and we changed our mind the next day.
Post a Comment